Routes For All was created by Spokes to offer routes that are family friendly, suitable for new cyclists as they build up confidence on longer rides and for experienced cyclists new to the area, to show off the lovely countryside available to them. Spokes exists to encourage and campaign for cycling, and if you would like to support its work you can join the group.
Each route comes with a detailed description, including refreshment stops and points of interest, and downloadable GPX file and narrative turn by turn instructions. If you are new to Routes For All, it is essential that you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
View a map of the area with all of the routes overlaid.
Select routes using the tick boxes below and press “Show routes“:.
- Select the area number from the map that you want to search or leave them all blank and see routes in all areas.
- Select a route distance or leave them all blank and see routes of all distances
- Select one or more types of route or leave them all blank
You’ll be presented with a list of routes. Each shows a start location, a list of villages and towns the route passes close to, where you might prefer to start from, and a list of scenic areas it passes through. Use the NEWER ENTRIES and OLDER ENTRIES arrows at the bottom of each screen to page back and forward through the list.
If you know the name of the route, scroll down the list of routes shown in the Route list below.
- Only routes that meet ALL of the criteria you select will be shown. Therefore if you select AREA: 1 and AREA: 2, only routes that go through both locations will be shown.
- Family friendly – show routes where we don’t expect you will ride with fast moving traffic or with very challenging hills. You may have to cross busy roads and use cycle paths alongside busier roads and some of these routes use the canal towpath. Families include riders with a range of ages and capabilities. For example, a family route may not be suitable for a 6 year old who has only just learnt to ride and has not ridden on roads. Please read the route information to check that the route is suitable for your family.
- Confidence builder – show routes that we believe a new cyclist can use and will feel safe on as they gain experience. Please check the route information, as the length and type of route you will feel comfortable on, will change as you gain experience.
- On road – show routes on surfaced roads and cycle paths, or where any unsurfaced sections are suitable for bikes with thin tyres.
- Thin Tyres – show routes which we believe are suitable for a bike with thin tyres.
We’d love to receive your feedback on our routes. If you find any errors or have suggestions for improvements in any of the existing routes, have suggestions for a new ride that you would like to share or just want to comment on a ride, please see here.