SPOKES is the local cycle club for South West Hertfordshire, formed to encourage cycling by organizing rides and campaigning for better and safer cycling routes.
If you want to join us on a ride then just turn up at the stated start point, have a look at the future rides. We have rides most weekends, some weekdays and summer evenings, they start at several places around Watford. Our riders come from Watford, Bushey, Garston, Oxhey, Rickmansworth, Croxley, Chandlers Cross, Pinner and other areas in SW Hertfordshire
You are welcome to join our rides. You do not have to be a member, but benefits include a newsletter four times a year and discounts at local cycle shops.
If you want to join it is only £12 a year!
If you want to know more about SPOKES or need help to join us then contact us.
The aims of the Group are
- To campaign for better conditions for cyclists in South West Hertfordshire
- To encourage more people to enjoy cycling
- To organise a programme of cycle rides to provide for all tastes
- To publish a quarterly newsletter free to members
Membership is open to any person who supports cycling. The group is independent and non-political.
3. Membership Fee
An annual subscription will be payable by individual members or the first named member of a family. Additional members of a family at the same address will pay a reduced subscription.
The committee will review membership subscription each year.
- The business of the Group is conducted by a committee elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- The committee should consist of between four and twelve members.
- The following Executive Officers shall be shall be able to decide urgent matters between meetings: Chairperson, Treasurer, Vice Chairperson.
- Other committee members may be allocated an area of responsibility.
- Additional committee members may be co-opted by the Chairperson until the next AGM
- The committee should meet as necessary, but not less than 3 times per year. Minutes of committee meetings must be made available to all members of the Group on request.
5. Annual General Meeting
The committee must call an Annual General Meeting of the Group each year. It must give at least 14 days notice to all members by either a notice on the web-site, by email or by being delivered to each member’s home address. The notice will include the date, time and place of the meeting and an agenda of matters to be discussed. A member proposing a resolution must give it in writing to the Chairperson at least seven days prior to the AGM.
— At the AGM
- The Committee must present its annual report of the Group.
- The Treasurer must present audited accounts of the Group for the past year.
- Elections will be held for the Officers and Committee for the forthcoming year.
— Special General Meeting
The Chairperson will call a Special General Meeting at the request of a majority of the committee, or on receipt of a written request by at least 20 members of the Group. The Chairperson will give at least 7 days notice to all members vie the website or by post of any Special General Meeting, which must take place within 21 days of the request for such a meeting.
The quorum for committee meetings is at least one officer plus two other committee members.
7. Duties of the Officers
The Chairperson must conduct the meetings of the Group. If the Chair is absent, another officer will be elected to chair that meeting.
The Chairperson is responsible for arranging committee and general meetings and must give at least seven days notice of all meetings.
A person will be appointed to keep a record of all meetings of the Group and its Committee in the form of minutes. Minutes must be presented and approved by the Committee for all meetings.
The Treasurer is responsible for the following duties:
- Keeping a record of all income and expenditure.
- Maintaining a bank account in the name of the Group.
- Presenting a financial report at the AGM and committee meetings.
The Membership Secretary is responsible for will maintaining a record of the members including name, address, email address and phone number.
8.Alteration of the Constitution
This constitution may be altered by an Annual or Special General Meeting. At least 14 days notice must be given to the Chair before a meeting where a proposal to alter the constitution is to be discussed. Any alteration requires a two-thirds majority of the members present and eligible to vote.
9.Dissolving the Group
The Committee, or if a Committee no longer exists, a majority of remaining members of the Group, can propose that the Group be dissolved. They must give at least 14 days notice to all remaining members of the meeting for dissolution. No quorum is required for the purposes of dissolution; a two-thirds majority of those present is sufficient to dissolve the Group.
Any funds and stocks of merchandise remaining, when the Group has satisfied its liabilities, should be donated for charitable purposes benefiting the community, as decided by the meeting.
This constitution was adopted by SPOKES – SW Herts Cycling Group at its Annual General Meeting held on 27 April 2007.
SPOKES is an informal cycling club with no legal status. This document explains how SPOKES uses the personal data it collects for the purpose of carrying out its functions as a cycling club.
SPOKES undertakes to:
- Store all personal data securely.
- Pass no membership data to another organisation unless a member has given us explicit permission to do so.
- Provide a member with details of the data we hold relating to that member within 30 days of a written request to the Membership Secretary.
- Retain members’ personal information only for as long as is necessary and consistent with the law.
SPOKES collects information about members, including name, address, email address and phone number, in order to identify the membership, collect and record subscription payments and communicate with the membership.
SPOKES communicates with members by newsletter and occasional emails to inform the members about our organised rides, activities, membership renewal information and other matters of interest.
Members receiving a printed newsletter will also receive a statement showing their personal details and preferences held by SPOKES. To amend this information please contact the Membership Secretary.
Members can decide to opt in or out of receiving emails from SPOKES. Members should contact the Membership Secretary to update their preferences.
Members should ensure to notify the Membership Secretary of any required changes to their personal data held by SPOKES, who will endeavour to keep such information up to date.