The Rides For All library commemorates the 25th Anniversary of the formation of SPOKES and has been created and is being maintained by its members. It includes rides from SPOKES’ previous publications, the Blue and Yellow Books, as well as new rides. The objective is to offer rides that are family friendly, suitable for new cyclists as they build up confidence on longer rides and for experienced cyclists new to the area to show off the lovely countryside available to them. SPOKES exists to encourage and campaign for cycling and if you would like to support its work you can join the group.
The guidance provided with these rides represents the opinion of the ride creator, and the information included was believed to be accurate at the time the ride was created. If you choose to follow a ride, the responsibility for your safety and that of any riders with you, remains with you.
Use the tick boxes below to set the criteria for the rides you are interested. Read the notes after the selection tick boxes to ensure you get the rides you want. You will see the rides that meet all of the criteria you have selected and these may be spread over over several pages. Use the NEWER ENTRIES and OLDER ENTRIES boxes at the bottom of the page to navigate between pages. Click on RidewithGPS below the map for a ride for a detailed map, more information about that ride and the options to download a GPS file or printed directions to guide you on the ride. Please read the information and guidance provided, and if you are relying on the availability of any of the refreshment stops mentioned, please contact the establishment before you ride.
You will gain much more from SPOKES Rides For All if you are familiar with what information is available for each ride. Please read How To Use The Rides For All Maps for more details, including instructions on how to obtain the correct format of GPS file and printed directions.
If you find any errors or have suggestions for improvements in any of the existing rides or have suggestions for a new ride that you would like to share, please see here.
Select routes by feature
Choose one or more features and press “show rides“:
- Only rides that meet ALL of the criteria you select will be shown. Therefore if you select VISIT: Alban Way and VISIT: Ebury Way, only rides that go through both locations will be shown. In most cases you will only want to select one option from each type – one area, one, start location, one distance, one type and one location visited. You don’t have to make a selection from every type, you could just select the distance you are interested in or the distance and the start area.
- Family friendly – show rides where we don’t expect you will ride with fast moving traffic or with very challenging hills. You may have to cross busy roads and use cycle paths alongside busier roads and some of these rides use the canal towpath. Please read the ride information as families include riders with a range of ages and capabilities.
- Confidence builder – show rides that we believe a new cyclist can use and will feel safe on as they gain experience. Please check the ride information as the length and type of ride you will feel comfortable on will change as you gain experience.
- On road – show rides on surfaced roads and cycle paths or where any unsurfaced sections are suitable for bikes with thin tyres.
- Thin Tyres – show rides which we believe are suitable for a bike with thin tyres.
- Checked – show only rides that have been checked out by Spokes’ members. Rides that have not been fully checked out will have UNCHECKED at the start of the ride description.