Spokes campaigns both to get better conditions for cycling in SW Hertfordshire and to encourage more people to enjoy cycling. The SW Herts area is:
- Three Rivers District,
- Watford Borough, plus
- the Bushey North and Bushey South electoral divisions of Hertsmere District.
See http://www.cyclescape.org/groups/39-spokesswherts#area-map for a map.
We show our support the four E’s of cycle promotion (Engineering, Enforcement, Encouragement, and Education) with activities such as:
- Suggesting improvements/reporting problems affecting cycling by contacting and liasing with local authority councillors/officers concerned with cycling.
- Contributing to consultations on planning applications, Local Plans, and local cycling strategies.
- Going to local fairs and events with displays of our work, plus supplies of leaflets, cycle gear, maps, etc.
- Taking part in the annual Bike Week in June, including offering rides for beginners and people thinking of getting back on their bikes. (Our rides programme throughout the year includes rides for the less confident).
- Spokes is also a member of the Hertfordshire County Council Cycling Forum and a member of CycleHerts (the federation of Hertfordshire Cycle Campagning Groups).
The Spokes campaigning forums are for members and the general public. So to find out more about what is going on:
- Join Us Now
- Register for the Spokes forums at http://www.spokesgroup.org.uk/forum/ucp.php?mode=register
We also use a (Spokes-members-only) Cyclescape group to record cycling issues on a map and discuss them internally.
If you want to campaign with us, please:
- Join our Cyclescape group by following the instructions at http://www.cyclescape.org/groups/39-spokesswherts
- Record the issues that you are concerned about on Cyclescape.
- Come to our next campaigning meeting!